For P4 you need to write about the way IT affects individuals' work.As technology changes and versions of software get updated all the time they need to learn how to use the latest equipment and software. Sometimes it is easier and more user-friendly than older versions but sometimes it can be very new and takes time to figure out, or special training may be needed.
Some jobs may become redundant and so there is a need for retraining, for example where new software allows 1 person to do something that might have taken 2 or 3 people before. Think of some examples and summarise them - eg how it is easy to find information on databases now whereas before it may have taken a long time to search through records. Another example may be in using equipment to check for mistakes whereas before someone may have been employed to check products individually.
For P5 you write about the advantages and disadvantages for an organisation.
Advantages might include:
- more efficient working
- cleaner and/or quieter working environment
- possibly more flexibility in working hours, home working in some cases so less travel time
- displaying a modern and progressive environment - looking better than competitors
- being able to produce more items in-house instead of using specialist agencies (eg web sites, marketing materials)
- lots of open source or free applications
- increased ease of communications globally might enable use of cheaper services abroad (outsourcing)
- video links can save meeting travel time and expense
- offices may not need to be situated in towns or near traditional communication routes so savings on rent, rates etc
Disadvantages might include:
- security risks of electronic data (eg loss of laptops, USB drives containing information)
- legal restrictions relating to new technology or data storage can be complex to understand and comply with
- staff may waste time using equipment for personal use more or access undesirable material more easily
- it is almost impossible to 'switch off' when some work can be done anywhere - increased stress
- more staff may risk developing injury (eg repetitive strain) and liability for this arising later
- costs of new equipment and software, or maintenance, can be high